Christmas mail to Cloncurry 1908The founders of Cobb & Co. sold out in 1856 for a huge profit.
Cobb and Co. Manager James Rutherford, another American, extended coaching routes into New South Wales in 1862.
He made his home in Bathurst and built the largest coach factory in the Southern Hemisphere. Cobb & Co. also built workshops at Hay and Bourke in New South Wales and Castlemaine in Victoria. Coach routes criss-crossed both colonies.
The first Cobb & Co. coach in Queensland ran from Brisbane to Ipswich on the 1 January 1866. At Ipswich, passengers and mail were transported by railway to Grandchester. This was the end of the rail line at that time. The journey continued on another Cobb & Co. coach from Grandchester to Toowoomba.
Cobb & Co continued to follow the gold rushes. Coaching routes were established to Gympie in 1869; Clermont and Copperfield in the Central districts of Queensland in the 1870s; and Palmer River, Charters Towers and Croydon in the far north of the State by the 1880s.
The company operated 39 routes in Queensland in 1900 covering 7,750 km. Cobb & Co. harnessed 9, 000 horses and travelled over 31,000 kms every week.
Major depots were located at Barcaldine, Longreach, Winton and Charleville, the home to Cobb & Co's coachworks.